What is it about?


In all of this ... I find spirituality and hope.

Monday, October 11, 2010

We will see how it goes.

I have been giving away "stuff" on Craig's List and I feel like the process of giving things away has been complicated. There is spirituality in it.

It isn't JUST that I want less stuff in my life (I do). It is also that I am watching my kids grow up and that means, I need to help them learn how to part with possessions and move on. Craig's List is also part of the way that I am sharing "stuff" that belonged to my mom, which we don't need now that she has passed away. So in a way, Craig's List is part of the grieving process for me.

I called the blog "Zen & the Art of Craig's List," because I view this as the art of simplifying my life. I'm amazed at the people I have had e-mail exchanges with on Craig's List or who I have spoken to as they come to my "Curb Alerts." I also love that when I give things away on "Curb Alert" they are going to someone who wants or needs them -- not into the landfill.

So, I'm not sure if this will go anywhere as a writing project, but for now it is my diary of separation, grief, new beginnings, and ecology.

We will see how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. You are so right--there's a lot wrapped up in this "giving things up" act, not the least of which is that you have to make room for the new. (literally and figuratively).
    I would also like to adopt your "curb alert" approach--I have a few things that have been on my list to figure out how to sell/give away...like the plastic slide in the backyard Nicole outgrew three years ago. So what do you do, just post "Curb alert" on Craig's list and say what the stuff is and when it will be out there? Can you show me an example listing you have so I can borrow it? I'm serious. I'm going to do it tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't your husband's name Craig? As in, Craig's List?
    I love blogs with ruthless honesty. I love blogs about parenting. And I am inspired to give stuff away because God knows, my kids have accumulated so much stuff! (and I have too!)
    Keep writing.
    - mb
    ps I visit a church a day: http://mbcoudal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie: Start by opening a Craig's List account. Then you "post to classified." Scroll down to "For Sale." Then look for category called "free stuff." For me there is a Westchester section but it also promotes my stuff in New York overall. You enter a snappy title and I only put my city in the location box. Then it is an open box for a description and you can add a photo. In the description I will start with "Curb Alert." Some people put "Curb Alert" in their title box too. I put my address in the post. Some people want you to e-mail them then they give out their address. I figure my address is in the white pages so what is the big secret? The hidden response button automatically checks. Don't put your e-mail address in your description box. You will get tons of e-mail ads. Just use the default hidden one. Sometimes people will e-mail you if the item is still there before they come over. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB: I love your blog. I did the RSS feeds but couldn't figure out if I could follow you on wordpress. And yes my Craig has a different Craig's List -- sometimes called the "Honey-do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, have met some strange characters on craig's list. One guy, with a weird Euro-name like Vlad-something, showed up to test drive our Volvo we were selling. He had his black Chow with him (a dog that was never on a leash -- ever!) and Jay asked, what do you plan on doing with the dog? Vlad said, "he can sit in the back seat, he's been all over Europe." I still don't know what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know about Freecycle? http://groups.freecycle.org/WestchesterNYFreecycle/description

    ReplyDelete